Thursday, May 2, 2013

Iron-On Image Pillow Tutorial

 
I love these graphic pillows I see everywhere!!  They are super fast and easy to make!  Here is what you do:  The first item of business is to find a graphic you like.  I went to Etsy and typed "pillow download" in the search field.  Literally hundreds of fun images came up to purchase and download.  Most are only $1.00 each! You can use any graphic you have or find.

Next you need to get some kind of fabric transfer.  This is the one I used from Avery:

I would follow the manufacturers instructions.  This is how I did mine:
Ta-Da!!

Pillow #1 - Antique Kitty:
This was the quickest pillow to make.  Two squares 12" each.  Sew, turn, and stuff with fiber-fill.  Hand stitch opening closed.



 Pillow #2 Huma Huma Antique Tropical Fish Pillow
This was similar to the kitty pillow, only it measures 18" and I inserted an invisible zipper in the bottom seam to insert the pillow form.  Click HERE for my invisible zipper tutorial.
 Bottom view of pillow - I love the invisible zipper!
 #3 Enjoy The Ride Banner Pillow

I added the text to the bottom of the bike graphic I purchased from Etsy.  I choose to use turquoise linen for this pillow.  Looking back, I should have kept with more neutral tones.  You can kind of see the edge of the iron-on material.  Live and learn!

My pillow form is 16" so I cut two 17" squares.  Iron on your graphic.
 Cut little triangles out of Heat N Bond Lite and iron them to the wrong sides of your banner fabrics.  Cut out your triangles, peel off the back, and they are ready to be ironed into place.
 This is how I laid out mine.  I used some crochet lace for the banner.

Remove the lace and iron on the triangles.  Be careful not to move them.
 I used black thread to accent stitch around the triangles.  I stitched them twice so they look "sketchy".  I didn't bother stitching the top as the lace will cover them.
 Now pin your lace on and sew along the top and bottom of the lace in matching thread.
 Now it is ready to finish into a pillow!  I used an invisible zipper on the bottom to insert the pillow form.  You can finish the pillow the way you like best.  You can even just sew and stuff it!

#4 Enjoy The Ride Pieced Pillow
This pillow sews up really fast.  Use the following image below as a cutting guide:

Cut the back piece 12" x 22" 

Use 1/4" seams in your piecing.  After you piece the strips on, press the seams to one side.  BE CAREFUL not to touch the iron on your iron-on image - it will melt!!

Sew the front to the back with right sides together.  Leave a small opening in the bottom seam to turn and stuff.  Hand stitch closed.  Done!

The possibilities are endless using iron-on images.  I hope you come up with something fun!!


Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment